Valentine's Background

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Reflections


Anyone who reads my Facebook posts knows that last week was rough for me. And anyone who knows me personally knows I'm kind of in my head a lot. So of course, my rough week got me thinking about my life. I never question whether I made the right decision to stay home with the kids. Even on days that they drive me insane, or days that I wish I was out of the house and away from them (and yes, I admit to having those days), even on days that I’m completely exhausted and burned out and don’t feel like I have much more to give...I know I made the right decision. I also know I'd be feeling that way if I worked outside the home, only I would be with them less.

These thoughts lead me back to my hospice days and the lessons I learned from the dying people I met there. I don’t know how many patients I saw over the years, hundreds, no doubt. Out of all the patients I spoke to, not a single one of them wished that they had worked more or stressed more. Not one. The things I heard most often was, “I wish I had spent more time with my family” and “I wish I hadn’t worried about the little stuff.”

I work hard to make that a lesson for my life. I’m learning not to sweat the small stuff. I let a lot of things go that used to bother me. Now I realize they don’t matter. I work hard to treat people with kindness and make the mark I leave on the world a good one. I try hard not to judge others, especially when I have no clue what’s really going on in their lives, which is usually the case. These beliefs are so important to me and I hope to pass them down to my children. I heard a song lyric that spoke to me recently “It’s so easy to laugh, It’s so easy to hate, It takes guts to be gentle and kind.” I want my children to learn that being gentle and kind does take guts, and it doesn't mean you must be a doormat. You can be strong and gentle and kind. It's taken me years to figure that out.

Along the way I've also learned that the time I give my family is what is important. This time I have with my babies is something I will never get back. I don’t have to give them expensive clothes, mountains of toys, or fancy trips (even if in their childhood states they think that’s what they need). Yes I could go back to work and have more money to buy such things, but really that’s not what’s best for them and I know it. That isn’t love. I so desperately want them to understand things aren’t love. I haven’t yet figured out how to teach them that, but I’m working on it.

So even when I have to vent and let off some steam and get out of the house, I’m still cherishing every moment I have with my husband and our children. I’m still thinking about what I so often heard, “I wish I had spent more time with my family” and “I wish I hadn’t worried about the little stuff.” 

I am a 32 year old work-in-progress. I hope in 50 years (or 60 - dream big, right?) when my time comes I can say, “I’m thankful for the time I spent with my family and glad I was able to focus on what really mattered.”

No comments:

Post a Comment