So Madelynn received her first set of vaccines yesterday. I skipped the Hep B shot in the hospital, so she had to get it at her first month appointment. That means she had to have the second Hep B shot yesterday in addition to the regular set. It amounted to FIVE shots (two in each leg and one in the arm).
I was so nervous! I felt sick to my stomach and I got all sweaty. See, all my friends told me they cried. I expected I would too. Most of them said they wanted to slug the RN, but I didn't feel that way at all. I was grateful for the RN. She was wonderful. Madelynn has colic and acid reflux and cries every time she is put down. The RN knew about Madelynn's crying so she let me hold her till the very last minute. The RN was all prepped so that as soon as I set Madelynn down she'd begin. She felt so bad for Madelynn and I appreciated the extra care!
When the time came I laid her down, held her arms in (she has a very sensitive startle reflex). I put my face near hers and whispered calmly to her. As soon as the shots began, Madelynn screamed and her face turned dark red. I kept assuring her that she was okay. It was over very quickly! That RN was fast!!!!
I picked Madelynn up and almost instantly she stopped crying. I couldn't believe it. I was amazed. I expected so much more crying. I guess I'm so used to her crying that it really didn't phase me (or her for that matter). I don't know if that's good or bad!?!?! She screams like that when she gets gas, which makes it a common occurrence in our house.
So, overall I'm so proud of my little tough girl...and I think I did pretty well, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment